top of page

Important information that you should know​!

You probably realise there is a lot of information you need to understand and be familiar with when you plan for your wedding. 

I have provided a summary of the legal requirements below but don’t worry, I am here to help you, so please call me if you have any questions.

Who can marry under Australian law?
Marriage under Australian law means the union between two people.
A person is of marriageable age when they reach the age of 18 years.
A couple can be married if one party is over 18 years and the other party is between 16 – 18 years however, parental/guardian consents must be given and a court order granted before they can be married.

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
You must lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with me no less than one calendar month prior to the proposed ceremony date but no longer than 18 months prior.
I will assist you with completing the Notice during our appointment.  I will also need to sight documentary evidence of your birth and photographic identification as soon as possible on or after the lodgment of the Notice.

Evidence of Birth
You will need to produce either your original birth certificate or passport.


Photographic Identification
You will need to produce photographic identification such as driver’s licence.

Evidence of Previous Marriage
If this is not your first marriage, you will need to produce evidence of how your previous marriage was dissolved, such as, producing the original Certificate of Divorce, Death Certificate, Court Order.

Change of Name 

If your name differs from your documentary evidence, you will need to produce original documentation showing the reason for the change, such as, Change of Name Certificate, Marriage Certificate.


​Shortening of Time
In extenuating circumstances, you can apply to the prescribed authority for a shortening of time, which if granted, allows you to marry with less than one month’s notice.  If you are in this situation, please call me for more information. 


You are required to sign a declaration as close as possible to the ceremony.  I usually ask you to sign this during the rehearsal.  By signing this declaration, you confirm that there is no legal impediment to the marriage.


You must have two witnesses over 18 years old that know you.

Wedding Ceremony
To ensure that your marriage is a legal one, I must state certain prescribed legal wording and both of you must exchange prescribed legal vows.
Immediately after the ceremony, both of you, the two witnesses and I are required to sign the marriage certificates.  I will then present you with your Certificate of Marriage.  I encourage you to keep this Certificate in a secure and safe place as it will not be replaced in case of loss or damage.

Registering your Marriage
I will electronically register your marriage on the very same day with NSW Births, Deaths & Marriages.

For interstate weddings, I will send the official documents to Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State/Territory that the marriage took place. 


Ordering your Marriage Certificate

I will electronically order your official marriage certificate which will be sent to you directly by NSW Births, Deaths & Marriages.

English Greek Wedding Ceremonies
2017-04-22 17.23.25.jpg
20171118_153438 (2).jpg
bottom of page